As you may know, SharePoint is a collaboration platform focusing on establishing intranets for organizations. It is available in 2 offerings: Cloud and On-Premise. SharePoint Online comes with Office 365. SharePoint offers powerful features like Employee Directory, Discussion Boards, Blogs, Wiki Pages, Document and List Management Capabilities.
Well, that’s not all! You also get a load of engaging features like smart search, user friendly navigation which helps the employees to explore the company intranet portal effectively.
Looking at the past, Microsoft SharePoint was a neglected platform for a long time and vendors were losing customers as they had no idea about the solution’s capabilities.
It’s 2017 and with the current updates and enhancements, SharePoint has emerged as the greatest platforms for Enterprise Content Management. Check out the facts:
- SharePoint emerges as the Leader in The Forrester Wave Report – Enterprise Content Management - Business Content Services.
- SharePoint Community – Over 10,000 active members with up-to-date SharePoint news and add-on features.
- TopSharePoint.com is one of the promising websites that showcases SharePoint Site’s UX designs and portal features. What more can you expect from this SharePoint Directory?
- Increase in Turnkey Intranet Portals – As of today, there are over 32 Intranet Portal Solutions available. Today, companies are investing in third-party solutions (Like Dock Intranet Portal) which sits on top of Office 365 or SharePoint Server offering a perfect Company Intranet Portal.
Do you need to manage and organize Collaboration Platforms?
Yes, you have to! With SharePoint, it is easier for creating team spaces where a non-techie person can set it up and build areas for users to collaborate. Employees need to be empowered with their collaboration portals. These elements help in building a complete employee network to boost productivity and communication.
Why organizations fail to implement a perfect intranet? There’s no point of having loads of intranet sites with hidden content.
How to overcome this?
- Developing rules when creating new spaces. Encourage your team to use existing space whenever required instead of making a fresh one
- Formulate a plan to integrate important content into the Company Intranet Information Architecture.
- Indexing all your team’s content properly.
- Leveraging eDiscovery Feature in SharePoint.
Why do you need a Custom SharePoint Implementation?
We have been working with several clients for the past 15 years and their feedback on Intranet Portals are:
- 70% of the customers focus on functionalities rather than look and feel.
- 30% of the customers believe in having own branding on their portals and don’t want to look like SharePoint.
Spending lot of time and efforts for branding is not going to help your organization achieve their goals. You hire a consultant/developer and work on it, you end up losing lot of money and at the end of the day, you regret for the decision taken. Your Project timeline gets delayed and by the time you get it up and running, your team would have already made up their mind of not using it anymore!
This is where Ready-to-Go Intranet’s play an important role. It has got all the ingredients which most industries would require (For e.g. Departmental Portals, PTO Request, Expense Reports, Discussion Boards, Employee Directory, Alerts, Events, Image Sliders and so on).
Our experience shows:
- Users below 5000 never asked for heavy customizations for their Intranet requirements.
- Industries such as Aviation, Retail and Media Agencies require lot of custom workflows to smoothen their daily tasks.
This is the first series of my blog for “Get used to Microsoft SharePoint”.
Click here to read the second part of the Blog Series!