Please note that this applies for SharePoint Online, OneDrive for Business, Office for Business, SharePoint Server 2013 Enterprise SharePoint Server 2013 Standard SharePoint Server 2016 Standard SharePoint Server 2016 Enterprise
I’m sure that we all get tempted to save all the docs into OneDrive for Business. It’s not all about dumping your files into a file repository, you also need to check who needs the access to your documents saved in OneDrive for Business. If it is a Project Document – with various people involved, it’s always good to have them in the SharePoint Team Sites.
OneDrive for Business vs SharePoint Team Site
OneDrive for Business is an integral part of Office 365 or SharePoint Server, and provides place in the cloud where you can store, share, and sync your work files. You can update and share your files from any device with OneDrive for Business. You can even work on Office documents with others at the same time. With SharePoint Server, OneDrive for Business helps you to share/update files from anywhere and any device and with your colleagues, you can co-author documents same time!
A SharePoint Team Site connects you and your team to the content, information, and apps you rely on every day. For example, you can use a team site to store and collaborate on files or to create and manage lists of information. On a team site home page, you can view links to important team files, apps, and web pages and see recent site activity in the activity feed.
Anyways, your files are stored in the cloud by using OneDrive for Business or SharePoint Team Site.
Let’s discuss on the scenarios as to when you need to save docs to OneDrive for Business or SharePoint Team Site
Why save docs to OneDrive for Business?
- You have no plans to share your documents with your colleagues.
- Even if you have, you will be sharing files individually with limited lifecycle.
- Unable to identify existing team site where your docs belong to and the need of the document for creating new one.
Why save docs to a SharePoint Team Site Library?
- Documents need to be recognized by the team members as they are important. For e.g. Project Documents of an ongoing project.
- Need to assign permissions/ownership to your colleagues. This is very important as to have a successful completion of a project, you must loop in your colleagues who can control what happens on the site.
- Instead of granting permissions for every document, you can do the same for site basis. If your colleagues have access to team sites, they will also have access to the documents inside it too!
- You can upload all the Project related docs into the desired folder and expect your team to look for it there.
- Check-in, Check-out (If you didn’t understand what I’m talking about, watch the Video!) – In short – Assigning the document to another person.
It’s ideal to use both OneDrive for Business and SharePoint Team Sites together. You can also customize your team site or wait, why take the burden? Speak to our SharePoint Experts today for attractive SharePoint Templates that matches your brand and get it implemented in less than 3 weeks!
If you want your OneDrive Files copied to your desired SharePoint Folder, I have created a video on how to copy OneDrive Files to SharePoint and vice-versa using Microsoft Flow Integration.